Welcome

Please join us in support to raise funds and awareness of the Chikumbuso Women and Orphans Project and World Bicycle Relief as we bike from coast to coast June-August 2010.

Our goals:

To provide a well for a community soccer field in the compound of Ng’ombe in Zambia currently used by the Chikumbuso Grassroot Soccer Team. Chikumbuso provides free education and meals to 300 orphans as well as empowering widows and single moms through microenterprise projects.

Estimated cost- $10,000

Raise funds to donate 100 bicycles for an entire school through WBR- Bicycle Educational Empowerment Program. WBR has pledged to supply 50,000 bicycles to schools in Zambia. Recognizing the particular vulnerability of female children and the importance of educating girls, 70% of student recipients will be girls.

Cost- $13,500

To create awareness of Hasbro’s http://www.projectzambi.com/ inspired by a visit to the Chikumbuso Project.

To donate:

Click on the Donate Now link to make donations directly to World Bicycle Relief through our sponor page.

Or mail checks, payable to Friends of Chikumbuso or World Bicycle Relief, to Sabrina Buehler 350B Cossaduck Hill Rd, North Stonington, CT 06359. For more information email Sabrina at sabrinabuehler@aol.com

100% of Donations go Directly to the projects

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

There’s No Such Thing as Coincidence


Karma ? Manifest destiny? Spiritual intervention? Did you ever wonder why some things happen? It’s cool, sometimes kind of freaky, but you know it just can’t be coincidence, right? Faith I tell you, you gotta have faith and let it take you where it leads you. Well today was one of those days. Do you remember yesterday, Ben and I were cruisin’, I mean we did the 75 miles from Chadron to Merriman in record time. We aver aged 16.6 mph, but the last 4 mile we ran into a strong headwind that knocked us down from 17+ mph. Remember we then went to the rodeo back in Chadron and had a great time? Well, jump back to the ride to Merriman. About 10 miles outside Merriman we pass this young guy walking and pushing a kart on the other side of the road and I yell out a friendly “hello” and keep pedaling along on my merry way. Ben catches up to me and I ask, “What do you think that guy’s doing walking way out here?” Ben answers, “Maybe he’s walking across the country.” Yeah, right, I think sarcastically to myself, walking across the country. Probably picking up cans and garbage I think. How dumb am I? Who would be walking in the middle of Nebraska picking up garbage? So now we’re driving back to Chadron and we pass this guy walking and again I’m friendly and toot the horn and wave. After our big night out at rodeo, we get back to the camper about 11:30, dead tire and we still have to set it up before we can crash for the night. Guess who’s camping out in the city park? You’re right, it’s the walking dude, he set up camp under the pavilion, a pretty sweet set up.
In the morning I’m up early and getting ready to bike out of camp before anyone else gets up like; wait, did I tell you the new arrangement Ben came up with? Because I’ve been kind of anal about getting an early start, Ben and Sabrina figure that I should just get up and go and then once they arise in their own sweet time, have breakfast and packed up the camper, they can just catch up to me and whoever wants to ride, can join on the ride wherever! Now, back to the story. Sabrina wakes and is so considerate, she has to feed me breakfast before I leave. Who am I to refuse a free meal? So, next thing I know, she’s cooking, Ben’s up and I’m repairing a flat tire on Sabrina’s bike. NOW the good part, remember the coincidence thing from the beginning? Come on now, stay with the story. The walking dude is up and moving about, so I’m feeling neighborly and go over to introduce myself and ask if he wants some breakfast. Francis, I learn IS walking coast-to-coast! OMG! And he’s going from Oregon to Boston! Seventy-two days on the road and not due into Boston until October. He’s worn out 4 pair of shoes and can’t wait to get the next care package from his Mom with new sneakers. This young man is quite amazing and has had many life experiences that hit home with us and our perspective on helping other people in need. He has work with Habitat for Humanity in Botswana and done volunteer work in Haiti. We exchange contact info, take pictures and share 2 oranges with him for his trip (he wouldn’t take any more). Francis is a very special walking dude on a spiritual journey.
So, now it’s 10:45 before I’m on the bike heading for Valentine. Again, the best laid plans of mice and men. But, today the delay was worth it and I’m learning that somethings are just meant to happen. I know Francis will show up again somewhere in our future. The ride to Valentine (60 miles) is pretty easy with only a slight headwind to slow me. Sabrina and Ben pass me and drop off a sandwich, explaining that they are travelling on to Valentine to meet Bob, another Rotarian, and set up at camp. Sabrina returns later in the day to finish the last 25 miles with me and we have a great time reminiscing about Francis. Earlier in the day I came across 2 other bikers riding from Chicago to San Francisco. They were both named Ryan, and were relocating Ryan1 to a new job in S.F. while Ryan2 will be flying back to Chicago after the trip; he’s just along for the ride. They, like us, were fundraising. Their project is a cycling project that is funding solar panels for schools. I explain that I went solar last year and explained the CT Solar Lease Program. We had a nice chat, exchanged info. And I told them where they could meet Francis (he was staying put in Merriman for a rest day) and use the restroom facilities or maybe even camp in the city park. Just another amazing day in journey for a better world and meeting more wonderful people along the way.
Check out Francis’ story on: http://www.mywalkhome.com/
Keep Them Wheels a Rollin’
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment